3.15.2011

Am I Really "Crunchy" Enough To Make My Own Cleaners? Why, Yes. Yes, I am.

From My Kitchen Today:
A Handy Soft-Scrub Cleanser

OK, so it's not *technically* cooking, but you are mixing up ingredients!  I wanted to share my foray into the world of making household cleaners.  Since we have two small children, I feel like I am always cleaning something.  The kitchen table (most often), various parts of the bathroom, the kitchen, and today, the washing machine.

Additionally, as I have learned more about the damaging effects (both to our health and to the earth) of mainstream chemical-based cleaners, I've been trying to replace them with more eco- and family-friendly options.  The big drawback here?  PRICE.  I think Method and Seventh Generation (my normal brands) do make wonderful cleaners that works just as well--if not, even better--than mainstream cleaners.  But they cost much more, and go on sale much less frequently.

Since we are trying to trim some pennies around here, I began investigating how to make cleaners myself.  Now, I'm sure most of you have heard of using various household items (like baking soda, white vinegar, cooking oils, toothpaste, etc.) to clean.  But if you are anything like me, the thought of using vinegar to wipe down my house doesn't inspire visions of a pleasant-smelling experience.  And what I love almost more than the thing being clean, is the smell of the thing being clean.


Enter: essential oils.  Did you know that many essential oils (like my two favorites peppermint and lavender) have been shown to have antimicrobial properties?  Meaning, I can make a homemade cleaner  that cleans up, takes care of germies, and smells good.  Now, that's where it's at!  Especially since the thing that keeps me buying that $5 Method cleaner is the way it makes my bathroom smell.  (Oh, and the fact that I can clean my bathroom with no gloves on and not worry about my skin falling off).

Here's a step-by-step guide to making a fabulous soft-scrub cleanser.  I've adapted it from a recipe I found here.  Below the tutorial, I've listed the many places I've used this cleaner around the house.



1-Start off with this cast of characters: A freakishly large bag of Baking Soda (thanks, Costco!), some eco-friendly dish soap (whatever you have on hand), some essential oil and a clean jar.

A note on eco-friendly vs. mainstream: Does it really matter?  YES!  First off, remember: when you are making cleaners, you are doing chemistry.  You are mixing alkaline and acidic ingredients together, and you want to be sure that you aren't going to create any noxious or toxic gases in the process. (Remember about not mixing bleach and ammonia?  Same idea.)  So when you are choosing eco-friendly detergents, you are scaling down the chemicals, additives, preservatives, and colorings--all things that could affect your "experiment."

Also, eco-friendly detergents (both dish and laundry) lack the additives of other mainstream detergents that create foam and suds.  Because of this, they are low-sudsing, and will definitely affect how the cleaner performs.  You are going to get some suds once you add the water (courtesy of several plant-based surfacants), but not as much as otherwise.




2-Get out your mixer and in a large bowl (preferrably glass--remember: chemistry!  Melting plastics is no good.)  Scoop 1 1/2c of baking soda into the bowl.  Add 1/2c of your natural dish soap, and 10 drops of your favorite essential oil.  Since I use this to clean the bathroom and kitchen, I chose an antimicrobial EO from the linked list above.  This dish soap is Floral Lavender and Mint (my FAVORITE!), so I added 10 drops of peppermint.  Next time, I'll do 5 drops peppermint EO and 5 drops of lavendar EO.





3-Mix it all together on medium-high until it is throughly mixed and is almost the consistancy of frosting.  BUT DON'T EAT IT! :)





4-Store the scrub in a jar indefinitely, just adding a little water if it dries out.
Another note: I had some leftover cloth diapers that I found to be fabulous cleaning rags.  I just cut them up, and they are great for working the scrub onto a surface.  Plus, since it's only baking soda and dish soap, I can just toss them into the wash with the regular laundry when I'm done--no need to worry about chemicals getting on the kiddos clothing!  Added plus: I'm keeping a couple of sponges (what I used to use) and/or paper towels out of a landfill.


Where do I use this deliciously scented, highly effective cleanser?

*It works fantastically for scrubbing porcelain sinks (kitchen and bath), ceramic bathroom tile and the tub.  I only use about 1T of the cleanser to clean the whole tub.  Just rub it on, rinse with warm water, and watch soap scum and mildew take a hike. It also gets those annoying coffee stains out of my kitchen sink.  If you want to clean your toilet, scoop out a little (maybe 1/4c), drop it into the bowl, and use your toilet brush to scrub around in there.  Did I mention it smells amazing?  As will your bathroom when you are done cleaning.

*You can use it to scrub stuck-on food off of pots and pans.  Since it is made with dish soap anyway, a good scrub and a quick rinse is all you need!  I used to use Barkeeper's Friend for this purpose, and then switched to more earth-friendly Bon Ami.  But with both of these cleansers, you definitely needed to follow them up with another wash of dish soap (since they can leave a caustic residue)--the extra step being neither time nor cost efficient.

*It also works wonders as a stovetop cleaner (instead of Bon Ami or other ceramic stovetop cleaners). I just use circular motions to rub it on, let it sit for a minute or two, and use a clean damp towel to wipe it off.  Voila!  Baked-on food and grease is gone, without a scratch to be seen.


*Use it on stainless steel: faucets, sinks, even gently on the exterior of appliances.

*I use a version of the cleanser made with eco-friendly laundry soap (in place of the dish soap) to give my washing machine a good scrub down.  I scrubbed the detergent dish and its holder, and the seals around my front loader.  Then I plopped a handful (1/2c or so) into the drum and ran a cycle of hot water.  It totally cleaned up the little bit of mildew growing in there (very common with front loaders) and left the machine smelling super-fresh--which means my clothes will be even cleaner and fresher!  That was way cheaper than the Tide Washing Machine Cleaner I usually use every month or so.  If you choose to make this version using laundry detergent, just be aware that it takes a bit more rinsing than dish soap if you are cleaning, say, your sink or tub.

*Basically, you can use it anywhere that could use a good scrub.  Just be aware--even though baking soda is a very gentle abrasive, it's still an abrasive, so you want to test to make sure what you are cleaning can handle it.




Cost Breakdown:
baking soda: $5.59/13.5 lbs; 1 1/2c=12oz=$0.31
dish soap: $2.79/25oz; 1/2c=4oz=$0.45
peppermint essential oil: $9.99/2oz; 10 drops=0.1oz=$0.50
total cost=$1.26 for 2 cups of cleanser


This is a great value, and since I only use about 1T at a time (except for the toilet or washing machine), it will last me through 32 cleanings.  Also, it just replaced 3 cleaners that I usually buy: Bon Ami, Method bathroom cleaner, and Tide Washing Machine cleaner.  That's some saved space in my cabinets, too!

Stay tuned for a post on making an all-purpose and glass cleaner, plus a post on my favorite cleaning and laundry products.
Chelsea


ps
None of the brands I referenced above (Seventh Generation, Method, Bon Ami, etc.) have any idea who I am, nor have I ever received anything from them.  I'm just writing about my experience, and what I like and dislike.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, totally informative and good to know. I might give this a try...especially for the front-loader cleansing, that sounds like a much-needed thing around here.

    ReplyDelete